After Breakfast at the hotel, I drove to downtown St. Louis.
After bumping around on North 2nd street which is all cobblestones, I managed to get the parking ticket at 8:59, so I got the cheaper parking rate.
Since the Gateway Arch opens at 9, I was one of the first through security which is almost like at the airport.
I got tickets to go up to the top of the Arch, and to see a movie about Lewis and Clark.
The ride up to the top of the Arch (630 feet or 192 meters) takes 4 minutes. They cram 5 people into the tram cars (it's a really tight fit).
At the top, there is a relatively small viewing platform, with small windows. You can see for quite a distance, since the area is relatively flat. The weather was a bit cloudy, but visibility was fine.
Since there was a 20 MPH wind, the Arch moves a bit. It was a bit scary.
The ride back down only takes 3.5 minutes.
I visited the museum, and then saw a lovely movie, on a huge screen, about Lewis and Clark.
My next stop was the Old Court House, which is two blocks away. It is no longer active, and has an several exhibits about the history of St. Louis and the Dred Scott Case.
All the material I read about St. Louis, said that you just had to get some St. Louis Pizza. I went to the visitors center and asked, and they pointed me to Imo's. I went there and had some Authentic St. Louis Pizza for lunch. It was good, but it didn't seem all that different. The crust was thinner, and the serve it cut up into smallish squares.
Next I drove to the Science Center. It was mainly for kids, and was glad it was free.
My next stop was the Humane Society of Missouri (I just can't keep away from the puppies). I saw their facility, and talked to some of the dogs.
I decided that it was to early to go back to the hotel, to I went to a mall (St. Louis Mills)and saw a movie, the Tower Heist, with Ben Stiller and Eddie Murphy.
By this time it was a bit late, so after walking around the mall for a bit, I came back to the hotel for the night.
Pictures
No comments:
Post a Comment